-->

Wednesday, 1 May 2013

stretch marks as art {a sort of poem}


I have stretch marks.
And by stretch marks, I mean, streetttccchhh marks.
Midwives, doctors, interns etc, would often go "bug-eyed" when they saw my stretch marks.
They were that bad.

A year after giving birth, and they haven't magically disappeared.
But, they have faded (thankfully!)
Still, they're there, and some days I just wish I could take them off.
Like a heavy coat, or thick track pants.
They weigh me down.

I wonder though, if I could just think of my stretch marks differently.
Perhaps I wouldn't be so ashamed of wearing them?
I could even, dare I say, be proud?

My stretch marks are my badge of honour.
This body carried a child.
Eight pound, nine and a half ounces of baby girl.
This body of mine nurtured life, for nine months.
The stretch marks grew and deepened, sometimes giving off a purplish hue.
As my daughter grew, and my love for her deepened.
Purple.
I couldn't get that colour out of my mind.
Because to me, it signifies everything girly (forget pink!)

Purple.
My little girl. A girl whose heart beat inside of me.
Stronger each day.

What are stretch marks?
Proof that a child grew inside of me.
A display for all to see, that our body's were created.
for true greatness.

What are stretch marks?
But a visual representation.
That my Lord, who breathed life into me, breathed life inside of me.
And perhaps, with his precious fingers, drew purple lines into my skin.

God's Art.
Life.


Don't forget to follow me on bloglovin' 
and like my facebook page

4 comments:

  1. Oh I have them bad too. Not just on y stomache, though that is where the majority lie.
    But it's all worth it :)

    P.s. penny and Peyton were the exact same birth weight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow I did not know that Peyton weight that much! pen was so swollen though so I think she looked chubbier than she really was.

      and I don't have any on my stomach - they are ALL down my legs...thighs/hips...behind my knees..and even down my calf a bit. I had soo much water weight. Weird though, but also difficult to hide in summer season!

      Delete
    2. Brianna I have stretch marks down the back of my knees too, so I can sympathize with how that might make you feel... I have had mine since high school. Since I went to a Catholic high school, the girls wore kilts and I would sometimes feel quite self conscious about it. But I've learned to accept them and they do fade with time.

      But you now have a beautiful baby! I'll need this encouragement one day when I'm preggo/new mom. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. you are beautiful!! stretch marks and all!! :) I find being a mom does make me less self conscious of things..I guess my mind is focused on too many things! lol

      Delete